Thursday, January 15, 2009

"And the LIGHT overcome the darkness."

Jesus spoke to them again saying, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)


I love this. Recently, I researched various translations of the scripture text, John 1:5, "and the LIGHT overcome the darkness," in the: New American Bible, International Standard Version, Bible in Basic English, Jerusalem Bible, King James American Version, God's Word Translation, Douay-Rheims, and King James, among several others.


Regarding the LIGHT in the various translations of this text, the darkness has never put it out, did not comprehend it, has never extinguished it; it is not overcome by the dark, the dark has not overpowered it, and did not perceive it….


There is so much here for our reflection and our hope - every chosen word is nuanced and powerful.


While each of these translations is slightly different from the next, each in its own way is a reflection of the LIGHT that shines in our darkness and communicates an amazing and continuous ray of LIGHT and hope.


Which phrase speaks or resonates most closely to what is in your heart today? Do you perceive the "light of life" in your self?


In future posts I will be getting more personal in sharing my thoughts and reflections. I think I'm just getting warmed up. : )


'Til then...


Let us choose daily to walk in the LIGHT.

"It is better to LIGHT ONE CANDLE than to curse the darkness."

-Cindy






No comments: